Raabe Clutch in OT Win vs Central


Ashlynn McKinney

Kelton Raabe

The Tyrone Golden Eagles defeated the Central Dragons in overtime on September 30th, 4-3.

“It was a very intense game and our team fed off of each other’s energy and was able to get the job done,” said senior Kelton Raabe, who had two goals, including the game-winner in overtime.

The first time the teams faced off, Central came out on top dominating with a score of 7-3.

Tyrone and Central were evenly matched in numbers as both had about 13 men on the roster with a few injuries on Central.

In the first half, Tyrone dominated possession, often controlling the ball and working it into Central’s territory quickly.

In the opening minute, Raabe sent a free-kick into the 6-yard box where it bounced to senior Andrew Tornatore, who put it into the back of the net giving Tyrone the early 1-0 lead.

It was a very intense game and our team fed off of each other’s energy and was able to get the job done”

— Senior Kelton Raabe

The Dragons managed to work their way down the field until they were in the 18-yard box around the six-minute mark. Tyrone attempted to clear the ball but Central was able to get a good shot off, tying the game at 1-1.

In the 16th minute, the Dragons took the lead by scoring off of a corner kick making the score 2-1.

Wanting to keep the pressure on Central and not lose momentum, Tyrone continued to attack and was able to get in the box once more. Tornatore slid the ball to senior Alex Taylor to tie the game 2-2 with 10 minutes remaining in the first half.

At the beginning of the second half, Tyrone was having trouble keeping the ball off of their side of the pitch, but as the half went on they adjusted and moved the ball into Central territory.

Both teams had several shots on goal and opportunities to score throughout the game but none made it in for the first 20 minutes.

After making it in the box for the fifth time in the half, Taylor drew a foul inside the box. Raabe placed the ball in the back of the net off a PK to put Tyrone up 3-2.

For the next 20 minutes, the Dragons desperately tried to generate an offensive attack with no luck until two minutes left when they scored, tying the game 3-3 which sent the game into overtime.

Overtime did not last more than 2 minutes as Alex Taylor found Raabe once again to score the winning goal in overtime.

“We made some lineup changes that really got our offense going. To add, we started to pass the ball more often and that made Central’s defense shift more which let us get in behind,” said Tyrone Head Coach Alex Bartlett.