Tyrone Eagle Eye News

Top Ten Greatest Video Games of All Time: #6

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Probably the most surprising entry placement on this list, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is one of the most beloved video games of many gamers’ childhoods.

Nintendo once again faced the task of translating a 2D franchise into a 3D one, but one more additional challenge was presented: since Zelda games are more centered around combat, how could it be made easier to confront enemies?

The answer would be quite possibly the most revolutionary function of 3D gaming: Z-targeting.

Link Z-targeting an enemy

Z-targeting allowed the player to continually focus on an enemy or object without having to adjust the camera manually. This function made combat so much more dynamic, and the impact it has left on combat-focused 3D games still lasts to this day.

Another important element in Zelda titles is the dungeons. Ocarina of Time also translates its puzzle and enemy-filled dungeons excellently (and are my personal favorite part of the game). Vertical elements were added, and many diverse items were introduced in order to navigate around them. Ocarina also features a strong cast of bosses, guaranteeing many intense battles.

Zelda title at its core cannot function without open-world exploration, of course. Ocarina of Time offers the typical side collectibles such as heart pieces, but also introduces new ones such as gold skulltula tokens. The game also provides entertaining side missions from its many interesting NPCs.

The reason I stated this was the most surprising entry placement is because Ocarina of Time tops many gamers’ lists as their favorite. However, I do believe this is slightly driven by nostalgia.

Although Ocarina of Time is one of the most influential games of all time, it also started the groan-worthy trend of forcing the player to stop to pay attention to its story (for many more complaints on this topic, check out my Red Dead Redemption 2 article). This disrupts the flow of gameplay and takes the player out of the experience.

Otherwise, Ocarina of Time is a classic. It offers a daunting quest with thrilling enemy encounters and a superbly fabricated world with copious dungeons. Pair these aspects with possibly the most iconic soundtrack of all time, and you have yourself a grand, epic adventure video game.

Stay tuned next week when I present the fifth entry: a shift in style from fantasy to the wild west.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
About the Writer
Caden Brooks, Video Editor

Hey, what’s up. My name is Caden Brooks, and I’m a big ol’ senior. This is my third year in Video Production & Eagle Eye. My hobbies include...

8 Comments

8 Responses to “Top Ten Greatest Video Games of All Time: #6”

1. Trent Anderson on May 17th, 2019 12:07 pm

I agree with this choice. That game was, and still is one of the closest things to a masterpiece of a videogame in our time.

2. Remy B. on May 17th, 2019 9:27 pm

I agree 100%. I have so many great memories with this game from when I was around six or seven. I’m sorry I don’t have much more to add; I’m just really happy to see this on your list. Excited for next week’s entries!

3. Brodie Myers on May 20th, 2019 10:59 am

navi is really a pain, but i’m still hoping for lego star wars

4. Ethan on May 20th, 2019 12:53 pm

Who ever made this does not know alot about games like graphics on this game is so bad because ps4 or xbox one doesn’t have it only switch because switch is for bad graphics

5. Ethan on May 20th, 2019 12:57 pm

In our time it says 1998 you old person like fortnite is the real deal

6. Ian Kaspick on May 20th, 2019 1:04 pm

Breath of the wild is better

7. Ian Kaspick on May 20th, 2019 1:06 pm

I’ve never played a Zelda game before

8. Chris Wilkins on May 20th, 2019 1:07 pm

The Last of Us is #1. Don’t even deny it Caden

When commenting, please use your FULL NAME and a VALID email address. If you are a TASD student please use your school email address. Comments without names and valid email addresses may not be published. Thank you and please comment responsibly!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Left