Lady Eagles Lose to PV on Last Second Double OT Goal

The Lady Eagles lost in double-overtime 2-1 on a last-second goal to the Penns Valley Lady Rams 2-1 on Saturday in Tyrone.

“It was honestly very heartbreaking to lose that game knowing the way we’re playing,” said Tyrone sophomore goalkeeper Rayann Walls.

Tyrone played well and was threatening in the final minute of the double-overtime period, but the game turned when a Tyrone shot on goal gave the Rams goalkeeper possession with only :40 seconds remaining in the game. The ensuing punt brought the ball close to midfield where a push was called on Tyrone, giving Penns Valley a direct free kick in the midfield.

The Penns Valley kick was sent to the top of the Tyrone 18 yard line, where it bounced and hit a Tyrone player’s arm, giving Penns Valley another direct kick on the right side of the field just outside the 18.

With just 10 seconds remaining, Penns Valley set up for the kick. Tyrone did not have much time to set up their defense, and the kick bounced in the penalty box where Penns Valley forward Katie Martell was able to lift the ball over a Tyrone defender and into the right corner of the net with only 0.5 seconds remaining on the clock.

Up until the last second Pens Valley goal, the game had been fairly even with both teams trading chances and playing good defense.

The game began with quick movement of the ball between both sides of the field. The defensive line of both teams remained strong and there were only a few shots on either goal.

Both Tyrone keeper sophomore Rayann Walls and Penns Valley keeper senior Kylie Auman stopped all the shots in the first half, which ended a 0-0.

In the second half, both teams came out in search of an opportunity to find a hole in the defensive line and score.

Tyrone was first to score when junior Sophia Nelson spotted an open Eliza Vance on the right side of the field on a cross. Vance was then able to run through the opposing team’s defensive line and score with a shot to the corner of the net.

The Lady Rams came back with a goal on Tyrone twelve minutes later when Penns Valley sophomore Nicole Denger dribbled through Tyrone’s defensive line unassisted.

Both teams held strong throughout the rest of the half, but no other goals were made in order to break the 1-1 tie.

The Lady Eagles came into the first overtime with lots of energy and intensity. They remained shooting at goal but weren’t able to finish. The Lady Rams also had a hard time finishing their shots, which led to double overtime.

The second overtime went on very quickly with both teams having equal possession.

“Overall I thought it was a tough game and we definitely should have had that game. There were just so many little things that we could have tweaked to prevent that last-minute goal,” said Walls.

Score By Halves:

Penns Valley– 0 1 0 1– 2

Tyrone– 0 1 0 0– 1

First Half: No score

Second Half: T- Vance (Nelson), 53:32; P- Denger (Unassisted), 65:56

First OT: No scoring

Second OT: P- Martell (Unassisted) 89:54

Records: Penns Valley (8-1) Tyrone (4-3-1)